The village of Lower Shuckburgh has a population of just 82. It lies alongside the Oxford Canal in a peaceful rural setting. Upper Shuckburgh with its manorial hall is set on the hill beyond. The parish chuch of St John the Baptist was rebuilt after a fire in 1864. It is constructed of a mixture of dark and light sandstone with limestone bands. The interior is decorated with Moorish tiles in Gothic style.