The site of St Leonard’s has been used for Christian worship for more than 700 years, with the earliest known church building dating back to the 13th century. Most of the tower dates from the 17th century, with the addition of the upper section in the 18th century. In 1863 the church was largely rebuilt as it stands today, retaining the original 13th century north wall and repairing the pillars forming the north aisle – but much of the rest of church appears to have been redesigned at that time, with a new vestry added and changes made to the chancel and nave. Since 1863 the main changes to the interior of the church have been the replacement of a stone pulpit by a carved oak one, the introduction of electric lighting and heating, the removal of pews in the north aisle, the erection of a screen and installation of a sink in the north west corner, electrical rewiring, replacement of the pipe organ, and some new stained glass windows.
In 2011, the sink was removed and replaced by a disabled access toilet, and a kitchen in the north west corner, a flexible use space was created at the west end of the nave for meetings, courses, young people and childrens' groups during the week. The pine block floor was restored to its original lighter natural colour, and damaged parts were repaired/replaced. In 2012, the original high west end arch, filled in during Victorian times, was re-openedto let in light from the tower room window, and it was furnished with a glass screen and door. This additionally enables all to see bellringing live, for example before and after wedding services. All the electrical systems were upgraded to meet current requirements, and to provide for any future additions, for example musical or sound equipment, currently being assessed. The next major internal project will be restoration of the chancel floor (which will depend on when funds can be secured, as is also the case with work to repair the external stonework).